When your pet is looking at you with their pitiful eyes, begging you to share with them whatever food you’re indulging in, sometimes, you do. What harm could it possibly do?
You might think it’s okay for them to eat it if we can, but feeding animals the food that humans consume can be a big mistake.
Treating your pets with your food (even seldom) can put them in grave danger. Many foods that humans consume is toxic to animals.
Here are the food that can be life-threatening to your little companions (in reference to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals )
This is a problem for birds, rabbits, donkeys, sheep, goats, horses. Avocados have a fungicidal toxin called Persin. Too much of it can lead to diarrhea in dogs and cardiovascular damage and death in birds. In Horses, donkeys, and ruminants it causes a swollen head and neck.
Chocolate, Coffee, and Caffeine
All of these products are made from cacao seeds. Cacao seeds (and some nuts of an extract used in some sodas) contain substances called methylxanthines. Methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.
Dark chocolates and baking chocolates are more dangerous than white chocolates as they contain high levels of methylxanthines.
Coconut and Coconut Oil
The flesh and milk extracted from coconuts contain oils that can cause your pet to have an upset tummy. Small intakes are unlikely to have any serious effects, however, you should avoid giving it to your pets.
Milk and Dairy
Like most humans, your pets are lactose intolerant. Products derived from dairy can cause them to have an upset tummy and diarrhea
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Raw meat and raw eggs contain a bacteria called Salmonella and E. coli that are potentially harmful not just to animals, but also humans.
An enzyme called avidin is found in Raw eggs decreases the absorption of biotin. This can lead to skin problems in your pets.
Your pets might be carnivorous but since they’re domestic (and not wild) they might choke on the bones. Also, the bones might get lodged in your pet’s digestive tract.
Nuts, such and walnuts, contain oils and fats that cause vomiting and pancreatitis
Macadamia nuts are especially dire. They can cause weakness, tremors, and hyperthermia usually within 12 hours of consumption.
Onions, Garlic, Chives
Vegetables and Herbs are said to cause gastrointestinal irritation that leads to blood cell damage.
Cats are more prone to the risk of ingesting herbs and vegetables. However, dogs can also be affected by it if large amounts are consumed.
Too much of salt causes a dry throat, leading to extreme thirst an sodium ion poisoning. Excessive salt can cause depression, tremors, diarrhea, to name a few.
It is suggested that you avoid feeding your pet’s snacks that you munch on, such as chips, salt crackers, popcorn e.t.c
Giving your pets yeast dough can cause their stomach to inflate, which can be excruciating.
Even if you don’t give your pets yeast dough directly, they might somehow find a way to eat it, so make sure that you’re pets don’t have access to it in any way.
Also, yeast produces alcohol during its fermentation process, therefore if your pets consume yeast dough, they might get intoxicated.
You might have seen this labeled as an ingredient in some products. Xylitol is used as a sweetener in foods like gum, cakes and also in toothpaste.
Xylitol causes an increase in insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels).
Ingestion of this product can lead to extremes such as liver failure within just a few days
Giving your pets fruits such as plums, peaches, persimmons, lemons, oranges, etc. can potentially cause nervous system depression and irritation.
If your dog has eaten a small amount of citrus, then it won’t cause a severe problem, but just to be sure, you might want to check in with your vet.
Other fruits like grapes and raising are allegedly known to cause kidney failure. There isn’t much information to back this up, but ASPCA suggests you keep from feeding this to your pets until more information is acquired.
Many of us are unknown to the effects that various products and food can have on animals. Your unawareness might leave your pets in a life-threatening situation.
So, do your research and acquire knowledge about what you can and can not give you to your pets. Also, don’t hesitate to call your vet if anything strikes your concern.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435